Partner Shares Makes CSA Affordable
Small Family Farm is a member of FairShare CSA Coalition. Through FairShare’s Partner Shares Program, income eligible households can apply for assistance toward the purchase of a CSA share with Small Family Farm.
Assistance is available for up to 50% toward the cost of the share, with a maximum of $300 of total assistance per household. Partner Shares assistance helps by covering the full up-front cost and works with participants to set-up convenient payment plans. Participants can pay using post-dated checks or using your SNAP (food stamp benefits, also known as Quest, EBT or Foodshare).
The annual application period is January 15 – April 15. Funds are limited and assistance is offered on a first-come first-served basis. In past years, assistance funds have been exhausted by April 1st, so apply early.
Find out more about the Partner Shares Program and print or complete the application: http://www.csacoalition.org/about-csa/partner-shares/
Fresh Food For All
We believe good, nutritious food should be affordable for everyone and that farmers should receive a fair price for their produce. But for some of us, that cost in a single payment in the spring is too much.
FairShare's Partner Shares program helps low-income households afford CSA. Those who meet income eligibility guidelines can apply – first come, first served – for a cash grant up to $300 or half the cost of a share, with the remainder of the share's balance paid with post-dated checks or SNAP (food stamp) benefits processed monthly when the season begins. There is a limited amount of funding for the grants, but we can process SNAP benefits all season.
Contact FairShare CSA Coalition at (608) 226-0300 for more information or apply online http://www.csacoalition.org/about-csa/partner-shares/
Share the shares by making a tax-deductible donation to FairShare CSA Coalition to support the Partner Shares Program. Donations are accepted year-round online or through snail mail.
Mail: 303 S. Paterson St. #1B, Madison, WI 53703.
Or, include a separate donation check along with your sign-up form made out to FairShare, and we will send all donations to FairShare on your behalf.
Partner Shares FAQs
- What are the steps to have a complete application?
- Complete the Partner Shares application form (either online or print & mail to the FairShare office).
- Mail a $25 initial payment check made out to FairShare CSA Coalition to the FairShare office. The deposit will be applied to your copayment amount.
- Mail or email your farm sign-up form to the FairShare office.
- Once FairShare receives items a, b & c, we will send you a letter indicating the amount of assistance you will receive and your amount due.
- All your payments (single check, post-dated checks or Quest card vouchers) are due to FairShare before your farm sign-up will be completed.
- Once all your payments are received, FairShare will mail the full payment to the farm along with your farm sign-up form.
- I submitted an application – what happens next?
- A FairShare Staff member or intern will follow-up you, starting in mid-January to confirm that we received your application and to let you know the next steps which include:
- Additional application materials needed
- Farm sign-up form
- Initial $25 payment (to hold your spot)
- Do I send FairShare the farm’s CSA application or do I send it directly to the farm?
- Mail your farm sign-up form to FairShare, along with your Partner Shares application and your $25 initial payment to reserve your spot.
- What if I don’t have an HMO rebate?
- That’s okay. We encourage those with health insurance companies to utilize any rebate benefits available.
- What if my income is too high?
- If you feel that you are in need of the Partner Shares support, you are invited to apply. We will contact you to discuss the details of your application and your individual situation.
- How do I know how much I am going to pay (my payment plan or my co-payment amount)?
- FairShare will send you a confirmation letter or email indicating the amount you owe toward your share and how much assistance you are eligible for, once we have received your application, farm sign-up form and your $25 initial payment.
- Why do I need to pay a $25 deposit?
- We request a $25 initial payment to reserve your spot in the program. The $25 will be applied to your co-payment.
- Can I use Quest to pay my $25 deposit?
- No. You may use cash, check or money order. Quest benefits may only be used to pay for food purchases within 2 weeks of when you will receive the food. Since you need to sign-up with your farm before the growing season starts, we request a $25 initial payment to reserve your spot in the program.
- How do I know my application has been received?
- If you fill out an online application you will receive a confirmation email. Please be sure to check your spam!
- If you fill out a paper application, we will be in touch with you to make sure we have all the materials required to process your application.
- You are welcome to contact the FairShare office to inquire as to whether your application has been received or to check on the status of your application.
- Can I use my Quest/EBT card?
- Yes. Co-payments may be made using one check paying your full balance due; using multiple, post-dated checks to set up a payment plan; and using your Quest card, completing offline food vouchers for each payment throughout the season.
- You complete the offline food vouchers to confirm your payments and submit all payments up front. During the growing season, we will debit your Quest card once per month using one voucher per month to complete your payments.
- What if I don’t have FoodShare/SNAP/Quest/EBT?
- Co-payments may be made using one check paying your full balance due or using multiple, post-dated checks to set up a payment plan.
- Can I pay my co-payment amount up front?
- Yes. We encourage you to pay for your balance due in one check.
- Who do I make the check out to?
- Make checks payable to FairShare CSA Coalition and mail them to 303 S. Paterson St. #1B, Madison, WI 53703.
Due to limited staff time and a high number of applications, it will take a few weeks to fully process your application (2-3 weeks). Please call the office if you have additional questions & let our staff know it is regarding the Partner Shares program, (608) 226-0300.